Taking a modern view on agricultural risk management
Have you ever taken out a policy and then found out you’re not covered for something after it’s already happened? Got buried in paperwork from multiple policies? Had claims rejected at the discretion of a claims handler without feeling like you can reply?
Managing your insurance can get frustrating, fast. Especially when all you really want to do is just get on with running your business.
Using a specialist rural insurance broker can help you avoid a lot of frustration and disappointment.
If you’re ready to start demanding better from your insurance, we’re ready to prove to you that competitive premiums and a high standard of service shouldn’t be mutually exclusive.
We’re Howden – a specialist rural broker here to make your life easier.
Who do we work with?
Whatever risks your business faces day-to-day, we can help you handle them by designing bespoke risk solutions that offer you comprehensive financial protection, while not charging you over the odds for coverage that you don’t actually need.
Our 50+ team has helped create bespoke agricultural risk solutions for a range of clients, including:
- Arable farms
- Livestock farmers
- Family-owned landed estates
- Horticultural risks
- Agricultural contractors
- Woodland owners
- Residential and commercial property owners (Including holiday lets)
- Farms involved in diversification
We don’t believe in ‘one size fits all’ insurance cover. Your business is unique, and your policy should be, too.
By creating a bespoke policy, we create comprehensive financial protection combined with competitive premiums.
What services do we provide?
We can include a range of different types of cover in your bespoke policy. Here are just some of the most common types other businesses in the agriculture industry require:
- Livestock insurance. Livestock insurance can cover you from any financial losses you incur as a result of disease, accidents and even theft.
- Public liability insurance. If a member of the public falls while climbing a fence, or trips and breaks their ankle on your land, you could be liable. (No matter how frivolous the claim.) Public liability insurance can cover any financial losses you have to deal with as a result.
- Diversification cover. More and more agricultural businesses are choosing to diversify through event hosting, weddings and even small festivals. These events require specialist cover to protect you against additional liabilities.
- Employee liability insurance. This is a legal requirement if you employ anyone as part of your farming business. This way, if your employees suffer any illness or injury at your place of work, you’ll be able to pay for compensation and legal costs.
- Agricultural buildings and infrastructure insurance. Chances are you’ve got multiple buildings on-site. Our bespoke buildings and infrastructure insurance can help you pay for repairs and rebuilding if your properties suffer damage.
- Natural disaster insurance. Natural disaster insurance can cover you in the event of floods earthquakes, storms and other natural disasters capable of costing you money through damage or lost income.
- Farm machinery and equipment insurance. Farm machinery and equipment insurance is designed to help you repair – or replace – your gear as quickly as possible if it breaks down, or gets damaged or stolen.
- Environmental impairment liability. Should your farm cause environmental damage to the natural environment or third party property this cover pays for the clean-up costs, remediation costs, and legal defence following a pollution or environmental damage incident. (Cover includes gradual pollution which is excluded under standard public liability cover following a pollution event.)
Remember, just because you don’t see a particular type of cover here, doesn’t mean we don’t offer it.
In fact, the chances are we almost certainly do. We’re about meeting our clients’ needs and will always do everything we can to make sure that insurers back even the toughest risks to place.
(And if this information seems a bit overwhelming, don’t worry. A key part of our service is helping you pinpoint exactly which cover you need and which you don’t, so you get the financial protection you need.)
Hands-on claims support: we’re always on your side
Do you have to fill in mountains of paperwork alone, hoping you’ve done it right? Send it in. Hear nothing for weeks. Call up, and get bounced around call centre workers who don’t know anything about agriculture, let alone the details of your business?
At Howden, we handle claims differently. If you need to make a claim with us, you’ll get:
- Specialist help
Our claims teams only deal with farming and agriculture claims. All day, every day. You won’t need to answer stupid questions or explain the basics over and over again. Our claims team know this industry inside out.
- In-house assistance from familiar names
We don’t pass you on to call centres or direct to your insurer. We handle all our claims through our own in-house team. You’ll know exactly who to call when you need help.
- Speed and efficiency
We take the time to understand your business at the start, when we design your policy. This means that when you make a claim, you won’t have to waste time answering a ton of questions about your business that, really, someone should have already asked. We will know the facts, and that means we’ll be able to move faster.
- The best possible chance of success
We deal with agricultural insurers all day, every day, and have good relationships with them. We know how to present your claim to your insurer to give yourself the best possible chance of success.
Above all, our claims are about giving you genuine, real help all the way through the process. You won’t have to feel like you’re making the claim alone, guessing at the best way to improve your chances of success.
We’ll be there whenever you need us.
And then if your claim is successful, we’ll stay on top of your insurer to make sure they understand the urgency of paying out.