Registered Clubs Liability Cover
Once your club has registered with the ECB, you are automatically provided with insurance protection in respect of claims made against the club.
Your coverage begins from your date of registration – or in the case of Public Liability insurance, the date that you specified needing the insurance to start on. In most cases, this is the expiry date of your previous policy. Once you are on board the policy will run annually from 1 February.
What cover do you have?
As an ECB registered club, you are automatically provided with insurance for various types of claims that can be made against the club (including the cost of legal fees).
Known as a combined liability policy, it provides a selection of insurances, specifically designed to address the key third party liability risks faced by a recreational cricket club.
For example, claims made by someone who was injured or had property damaged and feels the club is responsible, or believes the club has cost them financially.
Cover includes member-to-member liability, meaning that the policy will protect one insured club member if another member is injured and claims against them (volunteers are also covered in this manner).
Your ECB combined liability policy gives you cover for:
Public liability - up to £ 15million (per claim)
Covers accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising from incidents at the cricket club (see below for what activities are and are not covered).
Professional liability - up to £10million (per claim and per year)
Professional Indemnity insurance protects coaches for claims arising out of Errors or Omissions in respect of the professional advice that they give whilst coaching.
Safeguarding (abuse) - up to £2million per claim
Abuse cover provides protection for the club against allegations you have failed in your duty to create a safe environment for children or adults at risk.
Property Owner’s liability – up to £15million per claim
Protection against liability arising out of the use, ownership or possession of any club premises.
You also have automatic cover for:
Directors and Officers liability – up to £2million claim and per year
This policy provides protection for clubs' committee members, directors and trustees if an allegation is made against them that relates to their management of the club.
This is a cricket specific policy that includes coverage for all typical activities in the running of the club, including both:
- playing& training
- social & commercial activities, including when the club hires out its premises.
Cyber Liability up to £50,000
Clubs are protected for up to £50,000 for claims resulting from a data breach, hacking and cyber extortion attacks. Cover for cyber crime is also included for up to £10,000 each loss.
Important conditions - use of firewall, anti-virus, back up of data, PCI compliance, data storage and portable media
As an insured club it is incumbent on you to comply with the following conditions with regard to security.
- You will deploy and maintain commercial grade anti-virus and firewall across your network.
- You, or Your Cloud Service Provider, will back-up critical data at least every 7 days. Where such data is copied to portable media, such portable media will be secured off-site.
- Your liability for a Loss, suffered by you under insuring clause 1.4 (PCI Fines and Assessment Costs), is conditional on you being compliant with the relevant Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard in relation to all circumstances including up to the Loss.
- You shall encrypt or tokenise all third party non-public data or information for which you are legally liable.
- You shall password protect all portable media, including but not limited to smartphones and memory sticks.
We have worked with your insurers to arrange free access to the security you need in order to comply with the policy terms and conditions. To access this security click here and register your club today.
These covers are in force from the date your current Public Liability covers expire. You will not need to renew your current insurance policy and we will send you confirmation of your cover under the ECB policy.
What activities are covered?
You’re covered for a wide range of activities related to your club, including:
- Organised cricket activities including training, matches and competitions
- Social and administrative duties
- Liability when a club borrows, rents or leases premises for sporting or social purposes and is held liable for any damage to the facilities
- Commercial and fundraising activities
What significant exclusions and limitations apply?
- The first £250 in respect of any claim relating to a contagious disease
- Risks that require more specific insurance, i.e. motor
- Loss of, or damage to, property in your custody or control
- Pollution, unless caused by a sudden identifiable, unintended and unexpected incident
- Any legal action brought against the insured in a court of law within the United States of America or Canada, unless you are in USA or Canada.
- Fines, penalties or punitive damages
- Damage to products supplied and repair, replacement or recall of same work
- Claims arising out of, or in connection with, asbestos
- Repair of defects in premises disposed of
- Nuclear risks
- War risks
- Deliberate, dishonest or foreseeable acts
- Infringement, use or disclosure of a patent