“Driving any vehicle” – What does that really mean?


As a motor trader, you appreciate how important it is to understand the terms and conditions of your motor trade insurance policy, ensuring that you’re properly covered in the event of an accident or other incident. One area where there is often confusion is in the meaning of the "driving any vehicle" extension.

Many of your fellow motor traders assume that this extension means that they’re covered to drive any vehicle – regardless of who owns it or whether it’s related to their business. However, the reality is that the extension typically only covers vehicles that are owned by the policyholder or that are in their custody or control in connection with their business.

So, if as a motor trader you’re driving a vehicle that isn’t owned by you and it’s unrelated to your business,  this is probably not covered under your  motor trade insurance policy. This can have serious consequences in the event of an accident, as the uninsured motor trader may be held personally liable for any damages or injuries resulting from the incident. Which could be you.

It’s important for motor traders like yourself to carefully review your insurance policy and to work with an experienced insurance broker to ensure the proper coverage is in place to meet the specific needs of the motor trade business. This may include additional extensions or coverage options, such as cover for driving customer vehicles, or for vehicles that are being transported or stored.

By taking the time to understand the terms and conditions of your motor trade insurance policy, you can help to protect yourself and your motor trade business from potentially costly liability claims. This can not only provide peace of mind but also helps to ensure your business can continue operating while serving customers with confidence and security.

For more information, contact us on 0330 008 4960 or alternatively, request a call back by clicking here.

Car Insurance