Insurance for tradies

Tradies insurance

All it takes is 5 minutes!

Whether you're a plumber, carpenter, landscaper, electrician or other tradie,
we've got you covered.

tradie toolbag

What is Tradies Insurance?

No matter which trade you are in - you need insurance to protect your business. Howden Tradies Insurance covers carpenters, electricians, plumbers, bricklayers and other trades professionals when things go wrong on the job.

Our easy online application will have you covered in no time at all!

Tradies insurance coverage:

Public & Products Liability

  • From $390 per year.
  • Public Liability protects your business if you are sued for accidental damage or injury caused to a third party individual or their property as a result of your work.
  • Products Liability insurance is designed to protect your business if you’re sued because a product you sell, assemble or supply has caused harm to a person or to their property.
  • Care, Custody & Control coverage for up to $500,000 for property in your physical and legal control.
  • Also included is Advertising Liability covering losses arising from your advertising.
  • Our policy covers defence costs which provides a dedicated additional limit of liability just for defence.

Tools of Trade

  • From $237 per year.
  • Tools of Trade provides cover for theft, damage or loss of tools while out on the road or at your worksite.
  • Cover up to $2,000 per unspecified item.
  • Specified item cover is available.
  • Total sum insured up to $100,000.

Commercial Motor

  • Car hire in the event of accident or theft.
  • Windscreen coverage.
  • Multiple excess levels.
  • Monthly payment options.
  • Digitised driver coaching to promote safer driving habits.
  • 365 drivex app for you and your drivers.^

Business Legal Expenses

  • From $330 per year.
  • Cover for legal expenses up to $25,000 per claim.
  • Up to $100,000 aggregate limit during the period of insurance.
  • Access to legal document centre and legal information helpline.
  • Cover for tax audit or investigation and contract disputes.
  • Criminal prosecution defence (including WHS investigations) and much more.

Life Insurance

  • Tradies offer - 10% lifetime discount on Life cover.*
  • Cover issued by NobleOak - Australian-owned with 140-year history.
  • Fully underwritten to minimise delays on claims.
  • Claims are processed in an average 5 business days.
  • Most awarded Direct Life Insurer 2022.
  • Brilliant service - NobleOak has a 4.7 out of 5-star rating on Feefo.**

Insurance has never been so easy.

Call us on 1300 904 503.

Why do I need Public & Products Liability Insurance?

If you are responsible for property damage or personal injury as a result of
your negligent business activities, you will generally be liable for the resulting

Public & Products Liability insurance is available to protect the tradie against
the cost of these damages, including legal defense costs.

The cost of damages can range from hundreds of dollars for a minor claim up
to millions in extreme circumstances. Whilst Public & Products Liability
insurance will cover a tradie for any property damage or injuries to people
they are liable for, it won’t cover any injuries to themselves or damage to their

tradie toolbag

Tools of Trade - quick, easy & convenient cover

Tradies can’t work without their tools. If your work tools are damaged or
stolen they can be expensive to replace. The best option for protecting your
tools is to have an appropriate tool insurance policy in place.

Having tool insurance helps to keep you on the job.

Business Legal Expenses

ARAG Legal Expense Insurance provides affordable and comprehensive cover for Tradies regardless of your size or industry.

It’s like having a lawyer in your back pocket.

Business Legal Insurance for Tradies
Commercial Motor

Commercial Motor insurance

We have partnered with Mercurien to provide access to light commercial vehicle insurance with comprehensive cover at competitive premiums. Whether you have 1 vehicle or 10, you will find managing them so much easier.

Tradies Life Insurance

As a Howden Tradie, you will receive a 10% lifetime discount on NobleOak’s Life cover*.

By only offering fully underwritten Life Insurance, tailored by you, it minimises the risk of unforeseen delays or surprises in the event of a claim.

Learn more and obtain an estimate for you and your family.

Life Insurance for Tradies

Which trades do we typically cover?

Air conditioning installersElectriciansPainters & decorators
Antenna installers FencersPlasterers
Blind & awning installersFloorersPlumbers
BricklayersGardenersRefrigeration specialists
Cabinet makersGutter installersShopfitters
Cable installersHandymanSignwriters
Carpet/fabric cleaners Kitchen installersSkylight installers
Carpet layersLandscapersStonemasons
Carport & garage constructionLawn mowingTilers & pavers
CleanersLocksmithsWindow cleaners

Please note the table above is not an exhaustive list, contact us on 1300 904 503 if you can't see your trade.

Frequently asked questions

Some tradies will require Public Liability insurance before they can work onsite, or for different franchise groups and also to apply for or renew their contractor’s licence, depending on their trade and the state which they are located in.

Even if public liability cover is not mandatory for your situation, if you are a self-employed tradie it is still a very effective way of protecting your business against financial loss.

We are currently offering Public & Products Liability and Tools of Trade online and can provide you with a quote for all other insurances needed such as:

  • Personal Accident Insurance
  • Motor Vehicle Insurance
  • Fire & Peril Insurance
  • Business Interruption Insurance
  • Tax Audit Insurance
  • Home & Contents Insurance

Just call us on 1300 904 503.

Depending on the cover you need you will find us very competitive. Our policies start from $390 for Public & Products Liability and $237 for Tools of Trade.

It’s easy to pay online - we accept major credit cards VISA, MasterCard and AMEX.

Yes you can. This will be available online shortly.

In the meantime, if you need to pay by instalments, please continue to get a quote and apply online, then at the end under ‘Payment Information’ click on ‘If you wish to pay by the month or cannot pay by credit card, please click here and we will be in contact shortly’, we can then provide a monthly premium (Premium Funding) form for you.

Note: there is an interest charge with this payment type.

Yes. Once you buy the policy/ies online you will receive 2 emails within minutes of paying.

The first being a record of your answers and the second being your Certificates of Currency and well as a copy of the invoice, schedules and links to other important documentation.

Yes. We extend the liability policy to include an endorsement which covers defect liability and trade practices liability for electricians operating in Queensland in order to comply with the insurance requirements contained in the Electrical Safety Regulation 2002.

Yes. We extend the liability policy to include an endorsement that covers defect liability and trade practices liability for plumbers operating in Victoria in order to comply with the insurance requirements contained in the Licensed Plumbers General Insurance Order 2002.

Public & Products Liability does not include Workers' Compensation cover for employees, contact us on 1300 904 503.

Public Liability policies provide cover for the named insured noted on the policy. It does not extend to provide cover for sub-contractors that you engage.

Sub-contractors that you engage should have their own public liability in place. 

We can provide cover for them - just send them to or get them to call us on 1300 904 503.


The nature of trade work often requires tradies to work in hazardous environments.  

A self-employed tradie or sub-contractor is responsible for their business activities while on a job site. They could cause property damage or personal injury while on the job, and this could result in being liable for financial damages.

Public & Products Liability insurance is important for all tradies who are self-employed or who are working as sub-contractors. For some tradies it is mandatory, for others it is simply a smart way of protecting their businesses.

Just select the amount of cover that suits your business. We have the option of $10 million or $20 million.

You can select the excess to suit your circumstances, ranging from $500 to $2,500.

Tradies can’t work without their tools. If your work tools are damaged or stolen they can be expensive to replace.

The best option for protecting your tools is to have an appropriate tool insurance policy in place. Having tool insurance helps to keep you on the job by covering the tools and equipment you use for your trade. The cover provides the financial assistance to repair or replace these items in the event of theft and accidental damage. 

Yes - please call us on 1300 904 503.

Just call us on 1300 904 503.

^365 drivex app is offered separately to the services Howden offers. Please ensure you review 365 drivex's
terms and conditions and Privacy policy.

*10% discount offer from NobleOak - Howden Group Tradies are entitled to a 10% discount (which remains for the life of the cover) on NobleOak’s My Protection Plan standard premium rates on term Life Insurance cover (not in conjunction with a discount from any other program). My Protection Plan is issued by NobleOak Life Limited ABN 85 087 648 708 AFSL No. 247 302. Visit the NobleOak website to read full terms and conditions, PDS and TMD. 
**Feefo rating based on 140 service ratings over the past year (as at December 2022).