Construction & Infrastructure
Howden’s specialist construction and engineering practice places over USD 850m every year, on behalf of 800+ clients operating in the construction, energy and marine building industry.
We bring you 155 insurance and risk management experts, with enhanced access to risk expertise all over the world in 80+ territories.
We regularly work with:
- Project Owners / Developers
- Government / Awarding Bodies
- Banks & Lenders
- We are used to supporting all manner of project finance structures.
We bring you specialist practitioners and expertise in:
- Roads / Bridges / Tunnels
- Ports / Terminals / Ferries
- Power generation
- Onshore & offshore
- Downstream and upstream
- Renewable energy
- Shopping malls/offices / mixed-use developments
Some projects we’ve been involved in recently
- Rail network
- Army Base
- Gas storage facility
- Upscale housing developments
- Thermal power plant
- Simple cycle natural gas power plant.
How we help you
Full range of construction-related insurances.
- Erection “All Risks” / Construction “All Risks” / Builders Risk
- Delay in Start-Up / Advanced Loss of Profits/Rentals
- First Year Operational Property Damage / Business Interruption (Power Generation)
- International Third-Party Liability / General Liability
- Marine Cargo / Marine Delay in Start-Up
- Environmental Liability
Our full-service approach is based on three fundamental stages:
1. Client Needs
First of all, we undertake a thorough review of project’s contracts, risk register and site exposures.
This helps all parties get a clear view of the risks, and confirm compliance with contracted terms.
2. Mitigate, transfer or both?
Every project is different but the goal is the same – to reduce and transfer risk.
We identify all risks in the project and help plan the most cost-effective way to manage each.
Where is a risk is not insurable, we help with creating contractual provisions to protect yours and your partners’ interests.
We also take you through a structured process to properly understand project delay risks.
3. Protecting your interests (and your partners too)
The next step is to take your risk to the insurance markets.
Using our market insider knowledge and connections, we access a wide range of insurers with an appetite for the risk.
The goal always look to achieve long term, annually renewable insurance at the most competitive cost.
Alongside that, we ensure policies include resource and coverage for dispute resolution.
Independent loss control services are often a good idea
We are able to provide access to independent specialists who have worked as engineers and insurance professionals – these insurer-engineers and other independent experts can help reduce your risk, and therefore your insurance costs
Having an insurance-savvy engineer review is a useful exercise because the insurers and re-insurers greatly respect the opinion of such independent experts.
The insurer-engineer is independent, but they, like your broker, are always on your side.
We always select a person with directly relatable experience and can build in their ongoing involvement to be paid for by the insurer.
We recommend an independent expert survey your project every year or two, with recommendations reviews and tracked.