In just 27 years, we have grown from three people in a tiny London office to one of the biggest insurance brokers on the world stage. How did we do it? With a bold independent spirit, and a culture where everyone believes in four key principles.
Howden in Norway
In Norway, we are the market leader in Employee Benefits and a top 5 broker overall, with particular specialisms in property and casualty lines, professional indemnity and affinity offerings for member-based organisations.
Our clients range from some of Norway’s biggest household name brands, and respected professional bodies, to local SME companies.
Our goal is to offer the very best in insurance brokerage and advisory services. To do that, we are proudly super independent of all insurance companies, and fully focussed on delivering for our clients.
Employee ownership at our heart
While we are backed by patient, long-term investment capital, employees will always remain our largest shareholder group.
This has a noticeable effect on the culture. At Howden, everyone has a voice. Ideas are embraced, effort gets rewarded and meritocracy is real. All in an environment where people enjoy their work and have fun.
We foster an environment where people feel valued and cared for, and enjoy rising to every new challenge.
Howden fast facts
- Founded in London, UK in 1994, we’re now the world's largest independent insurance broker with a truly international focus
- We advise on more €10bn of annual premium worldwide
- We bring you specialist risk advice in 40 countries, with 6500+ people ready to support you. Our network of trusted broker partners provides further access to local experts in over 90 territories worldwide
- Our steadfast commitment to independence gives our people the freedom to deliver for clients
- You get all the benefits of working with a large global broker, combined with the speedy innovation and local know-how of a small independent
- We put People First: we value and look after our employees. We like to see people thrive.
How we operate
Switched on, forward-thinking insight
We use our know-how to solve tough risk management problems.
To help us do this, we have access to an extensive global community, with over 20,000 insurance professionals all over the globe through our Howden One partner network.
Representing your interests all the way
Our strong reputation with insurers means we can negotiate the best possible solutions for our clients, and we use every resource at our disposal to get you the results you need.
At Howden, most senior brokers are still very hands-on with client work – a large proportion of them over 10 years’ experience in their specialist subject.
Investing time up front to understand your business
Brokers can only represent your interests properly when they precisely understand them. We're specialists not just because we have lots of clients in a particular sector, but because we really get under the skin of our clients' businesses.
This makes a big difference because educating underwriters about your exact needs and risk management practices play a huge part in getting you the most competitive deal.
Relationships for the long term
Every client relationship we enter into, we want it to last forever.
We're 100% committed to remaining an independent business, so we think long term, in everything we do.
Work with us and you'll see the difference, in the way we support our clients and our obsession with world-class service.
Our philosophy is simple
We're here to serve you